March is officially Vegetarian Month and we couldn’t just let it pass by without sharing a vegetarian recipe with you. Our Warming Vegetarian Sausage & Lentil Stew take less than 20 minutes to create, it’s packed full of flavour and bursting with healthy ingredients. It’s a great evening meal that all the family will enjoy and any leftovers (although you probably won’t have any!) are perfect heated up and enjoyed the following day.
Warming Vegetarian Sausage & Lentil Stew;
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15-20 minutes
Serves – 4.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Large leek – finely sliced
- 2 Grated carrots
- 1 Grated courgette
- 8 Vegetarian sausages
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- 400ml Low salt vegetable stock
- 1 Tin cooked lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tsp fresh coriander – chopped (reserve a little for serving too)
- Grill your sausages according to the packet instructions
- Heat the coconut oil over a medium heat then add the garlic and leeks and fry for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add grated carrot, courgette and paprika and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, lentils, tamari and bay leaves to the pan and bring to the boil for 1 minute. Reduce to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until sausages are cooked then slice the sausages and add to the pan, finally add the chopped coriander and mix well.
- Season to taste before serving in warm bowls. Scatter with coriander before serving.
Delicious on its own or alternatively serve alongside steamed green vegetables.
I’ve created wraps using leftovers from this dish. Simply re-heat the stew and while you re-heat smear a wrap with fage greek yoghurt, add spinach leaves and spoon the lentil stew down the middle before folding & sealing the wrap. It is a tasty, hearty and totally satisfying lunch that will put a stop to those mid afternoon cravings.
If you’re looking for other delicious vegetarian recipe ideas then make sure to take a peek at our mouth watering Vietnamese Sweet Curry or our very tasty Easy Wholesome Vegetable Casserole With Dumplings, they’re too good not to give them a try!