Our Banana, Raisin & Walnut Muffins are free from refined sugar and make the for the most delicious healthy snack. They are perfect for children’s lunch boxes and if time is limited these tasty muffins could even be eaten as an ‘on the go’ breakfast! For me, these Banana, Raisin & Walnut Muffins are best served with a nice hot cup of tea as they provide the sweet kick I often crave alongside my afternoon tea break. The best thing is they provide more nutritional benefit compared to a biscuit or slice of cake. The natural sweetness comes from the raisins and bananas which is way more healthier than using the usual refined sugars you see in many traditional cake and biscuit recipes. It is also a great way of using up bananas that have gone a little over ripe!
Try our super Banana, Raisin & Walnut Refined Sugar Free Muffins for yourself with our easy step by step recipe guide below…
125g self-raising wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
50g butter (Softened)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tbsp milk
3 Large ripe bananas, mashed
30g Walnuts, chopped – Use for topping
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan.
- Place 12 muffin cases into a muffin tray.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice, raisins, butter and egg in a bowl until combined.
- In another bowl mash the bananas together with the vanilla essence and milk.
- Pour the ‘wet’ banana mixture into the cake mixture and combine gently with a wooden spoon.
- Using a desert spoon fill the muffin cases with the cake mixture, filling each case 3/4 way up. Top each muffin with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins then turn out onto a wire rack.
If you are not a lover of raisins then try using slices of dried apricots in the mix instead. They work brilliantly in this recipe.
Store in an airtight container. Alternatively these muffins can be frozen for a month or two. Ensure each muffin is wrapped well and then stored in food safe, freezer bags.
Happy Banana Muffin Making Everyone!