Our Sun Dried Tomato, Potato & Chickpea Bake is seriously tasty and packed full of goodness. With the layering of potatoes it could be described as a vegetarian lasagna or even a hotpot with a crispy potato top! So if you’re looking for a vegetarian lasagne, hotpot, veggie bake kind of dish then this is the one for you.
The varied selection of herbs and spices in the recipe ensures this dish has plenty of flavour creating a wholesome, vegetarian recipe that all the family can enjoy. Follow our easy recipe below and try our Delicious Sun Dried Tomato, Potato & Chickpea Bake for your yourself;
Sun Dried Tomato, Potato & Chickpea Bake
Preparation Time; 15 Minutes
Cooking Time; 50 Minutes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Carrots – chopped
- 1 courgette – chopped
- 1 stick Celery – chopped
- 400g Tinned Chickpeas
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 50g Sun Dried Tomatoes – Chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Peppers – Diced
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Leek – Diced
- 1 Red Onion – Diced
- 3 Spring Onions – Sliced
- 600g Large Potatoes – Thinly sliced (about 3mm)
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Fresh Red Chilli (Optional)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- Large Handful Fresh Coriander – Washed & Chopped
- Handful Fresh Basil – Washed & Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Good Drizzle Of Olive Oil
- 40g Grated Cheddar
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low to medium heat then add the red onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, green pepper, red chilli (if using), courgette and bay leaf and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the dried herbs and spices (both paprika’s and the chilli powder) and cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the tomato purée, sun dried tomatoes and the tinned tomatoes then bring to the boil. Once bubbling, turn the heat down to a simmer then add the chickpeas, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the potatoes then steam or boil them before adding to the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC.
- Turn off the heat on the pan and add the coriander, basil, spring onions and honey. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well.
- Using a large baking dish place a thin layer of the stew over the base then add a single layer of potatoes on top. Add another layer of stew on top followed by another layer of potatoes. Continue to do this until all the stew is used up. The top layer should be potatoes, layered with a slight overlap.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the potatoes and dust lightly with sea salt. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Once the potatoes are crispy remove the bake from the oven, sprinkle over cheese, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve in warm bowls.
Recipe inspired from The Happy Pear.
To create a potato layered lasagne dish why not add a homemade cheesy white sauce in between the layers. Simply spread over each potato layer before placing in the oven.
Happy National Vegetarian Week Everyone! (14th May – 20thMay)