Christmas is here and the rush has begun to ensure your Christmas Dinner is the best ever. There are so many recipes and celebrity chefs telling you the latest craze of how to cook a turkey, it can get confusing. That’s why we’ve put together a quick guide to cooking the perfect Christmas turkey. This way, when Christmas Eve comes and you’re still worrying what to do, you can reasure yourself with the basics, and as everyone knows, simple is always the best.
The Basics Of Cooking A Turkey
1. Pre-heat your oven to 220C for half an hour.
2. Weigh your turkey and calculate cooking time. If the turkey is over 4kg, cook for 20mins per KG plus 90 mins. If the turkey is under 4KG, cook for 20 mins per KG plus 70mins.
3. Rub the turkey with butter, salt and pepper, and lay the turkey on a trivet in a baking tray. Underneath the trivet, lay thickly cut onions and unpeeled garlic bulbs, and pour a cup of water in with base. If you want, lay strips of bacon on the turkey for extra flavour.
4. Put the turkey in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, after which reduce the heat to 200C, cover the turkey with foil and cook for the removing time minus 30 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and cook for the final 30minutes so the bird crisps up. Check that the juices run clear, and if not put the tin foil back on and cook until done.
6. Once cooked take the turkey out of the oven and leave it to rest, with the tin foil on, for 30 minutes.
Not only will you and your family be impressed by the look of the turkey, but it will taste perfect also.