All of these desserts require one main ingredient, meringue! Invented by a culinary magician, the meringue is often seen as too time consuming and complicated to make. Many home bakers will shy away from a meringue and by doing so they miss out of some of the most scrumptious desserts. To those bakers we say not to fear, we have the perfect meringue recipe for you.
In your cooking time of need you turn to one person. A person who knows how to make a pudding. I say person when what I really mean is a goddess (of the kitchen), Nigella.
I’ve used Nigella’s basic meringue recipe on many occasions and to great results, and now you can too.
3 large egg white
175g caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
1. Pre-Heat the oven to 140c (gas mark 1).
2. Line 2 baking trays with greasproof paper.
3. In an electric mixer whisk 3 egg whites along with a pinch of salt for 1 minute on a low speed. After a minute increase to a medium speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
4. Keep whisking and gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. After 5 to 10 minutes the mixture will become stiff and glossy.
5. Spoon the mixture on to the baking trays and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the meringues are pale and dry and leave the meringues to dry.
After your meringues have cooled why not add some fresh berries and cream for a beautiful summer pudding.
Why not try this recipe and let us know how you get on.