So tomorrow we see the end to another busy working week and what better way to celebrate than with a good serving of a true British classic; A Fish & Chip Supper. Don’t worry, it is the one day of the year when you can eat fish and chips without feeling guilty as tomorrow, Friday 2nd June 2017, is National Fish And Chip Day! Hooray! So, fish and chips are most certainly allowed and will definitely be on the evening menu in our house!
Our fantastic Golden Tempura Batter Fish recipe is seriously good. The light batter is delicious and a little healthier than the deep fried chip shop offering. In fact, this recipe is even tastier than a fish and chip shop fried fish. Try it, I’m sure (hope!) you’ll agree.
Save some money and make you’re own chippy tea (That’s what we call it in the North, we’re based in Blackpool you know!) with our Golden Tempura Battered Fish Recipe below;
4 x 160g Skinned cod, hake or haddock fish fillets.
50g Self-raising flour, plus 1-2 tbsp for dusting
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp turmeric
1 Egg white
125ml Ice-cold sparkling water (From A Grohe Home Blue Tap)
550ml Sunflower oil
Lemon wedges to serve
- Pat the fillets dry with paper towels
- Put 1 Tbsp of flour onto a large plate and coat each fish fillet with this flour. Dust away any excess flour – this will help the batter stick to the fish.
- Pour the oil into a heavy based, non stick wok and heat between 180˚C and 200˚C. (See our frying tips below)
- Mix the flour, cornflour, salt, r plus a little pepper together in a large bowl.
- Gently whisk the egg white using a balloon whisk until frothy and bubbly, don’t whisk for too long.
- Gradually whisk the chilled sparkling water into the flour mix– do not over-whisk.
- Add the egg white and lightly whisk. This batter should NOT be completely smooth, if you over whisk the batter at this stage it will become too heavy and dense once cooked. The batter mix should contain lots of bubbles to keep the batter light.
- Dip two of the flour coated fish fillets into the batter mix, allow any excess to drip off.
- Transfer to the pan and gently ease the fish into the hot oil using a slotted spoon.
- Heat oven to a low heat – we’ll pop the first round of cooked fish in here to keep warm whilst we continue to cook the remaining fillets.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and crispy, turn the fish once during cooking to ensure an even golden colour.
- Remove the fish using the slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper, repeat the process with the other fillets.
- Pop the fried fish in an ovenproof dish and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Season and serve with a wedge of lemon….and chips/salad/mushy peas….whatever you fancy really!
Add a little spice to your batter mix for extra flavour. We’ve used turmeric in our recipe as it creates a batter with a beautiful deep golden colour. You could even replace the sparkling water with beer for a delicious beer battered fish.
Tips for deep fat frying;
- Best oils to use; Sunflower, groundnut and vegetable oil.
- Do NOT fill the pan to above 1/3 full. Hot oil can expand and be extremely dangerous.
- Oil should be heated between 180˚C and 200˚C. No thermometer? Drop a small cube of bread into the oil, it should turn golden brown within 15 seconds if the oil is hot enough.
- Carefully immerse the ingredients in the oil with a slotted spoon.
- After use, leave the oil to cool completely. Once cool it can then be passed through a sieve and reused.
- Oil can be used 3-4 times.
Sparkling Water Tap; Grohe Blue Home Tap.
The Grohe Blue Home Tap is a brilliant tap which allows you to enjoy water just the way you like it; un-chilled, medium chilled, fully chilled, still, lightly sparkling or bursting with bubbles! There are plenty of reasons why we love The Grohe Sparkling Water Tap so much; click here to find out why. This tap offers freshly filtered and chilled table water plus carbonated water too, all from one spout. The Grohe Blue Home Duo tap would make a super addition to any kitchen, you’ll be enjoying fruit spritzers and making wonderfully light tempura batters and cakes like a pro once you have a Grohe sparkling water tap installed.
To find out more about The Grohe Blue Home Tap please call our friendly team at Appliance House on 0330 002 0229. We’re always happy to help.
Happy National Fish & Chip Day Everyone!
(Like we need an excuse to enjoy a chippy, especially on a Friday night!!)